PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Turkey and Sun Dried Tomato Meatballs...

 

I usually don't cook with ground turkey... I'm a ground beef kind of girl. The last time I made turkey meatballs I put WAY too much salt in them and they were horrible. Yeah, we pretty much spit them out after one bite and into the trash they went. Not my best cooking moment.

Cooking with ground turkey is a little tricky, for me anyway. You have to make it flavorful and add ingredients that will make it very moist, or it will come out dry... at least that's my experience. Hence, I developed a ground turkey phobia, seriously...... I did.

Well, I decided to conquer my phobia and this time around, I thought I'd brown the meatballs in olive oil and make a sauce they could bake in. In hopes that they wouldn't dry out. The results......

...... it worked!

I was very pleased when these came out of the oven tasting delish! Most of the recipes I cook are tried and true family recipes...... and now I'm trying to develop my own recipes. It's a lot of fun, but can be a little frustrating at times.

I was excited to see that this recipe was one of five recipes featured on Tasty Kitchen last Friday...... yay! Thank you Tasty Kitchen!

One cooking phobia down and...... well, a few more to go.


Turkey and Sun Dried Tomato Meatballs

FOR THE MEATBALLS:
  • 1-½ pound Ground Turkey
  • ⅓ cups Italian Style Bread Crumbs
  • ¼ cups Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • ½ teaspoons Pepper
  • 1-½ teaspoon Dried Parsley
  • ½ cups Sun Dried Tomatoes In Their Oil, Chopped
  • 1 whole Egg
  • ½ cups Flour (for Dredging)
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
FOR THE SAUCE:
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Flour
  • 2 cups Chicken Stock
  • ½ cups Heavy Cream
  • 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
  • ½ cups Sun Dried Tomatoes In Their Oil, Chopped
  • 1-½ teaspoon Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Pepper

For the meatballs:

In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, parmesan, pepper, parsley, sun dried tomatoes, and egg. Mix until just combined. Loosely roll into 1 1/2-inch balls. Place in a large baking dish, cover, and chill in the refrigerator to firm up for about an hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F).
Once firm, dredge the meatballs in the flour. Heat the oil in a large skillet or pan on medium heat and brown the meatballs. Place the browned meatballs in a large baking dish.

For the sauce:

Leaving the skillet or pan on the stove, add the butter and oil. Whisk in the flour, combining well. Add the chicken stock and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the the heavy cream. Add the tomato paste, sun dried tomatoes, salt and pepper. Whisk and cook for an additional 2–3 minutes, just enough so the sauce thickens a little. Adjust the seasonings to taste. Pour the sauce over the meatballs and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the meatballs are done. Makes 16 meatballs. Serve with pasta or on their own with one or two side dishes.

Enjoy!

I'm linking this post up to Mouthwatering Mondays. Head on over to check out all the great links!

Print

3 comments:

  1. These look delicious. I have the same problem with food from ground turkey. These look perfect, though, and I love sun-dried tomatoes. I'll have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily- Those meatballs look wonderful. If they taste half as good as they look then you must've had great success with the ground turkey this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! I know what you mean about ground turkey---it can be real tricky to season them well. I tend to just use ground chicken sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy... leave a comment... oh, and thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...