PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Margherita Panini with Pancetta...

 

Eeeek...

... I've been absent from the So Domesticated blog... and I apologize! I have been so unbelievably busy the past month or so, that I've barley had time for my family!

I love volunteering at the elementary school that my youngest daughter attends, but sometimes I can take on too much. We had a fundraiser recently, which took up a lot of my time.

Now I'm able to take a bit of a break, before the madness of upcoming birthdays and our planned vacation to California this summer.

I've been wanting to make a panini recipe for sometime now, and well, finally followed through with it!

I love the freshness of basil and mozzarella. So that was my starting point. I found some fabulous torta sandwich rolls at Costco and decided to you use those as my bread. I also wanted some crunch. The answer to that: crispy pancetta... yum!

All the flavors worked very well together, but don't take my word for it... try it for yourself...

Margherita Panini with Pancetta

  • 1 Torta Sandwich Roll
  • 5 Slices Pancetta
  • 4 Slices Fresh Mozzarella
  • 5 Slices Roma Tomatoes
  • Salt and Pepper, To Taste
  • 4 Large Fresh Basil Leaves
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

Heat a griddle with grilling ridges on medium/low heat. Slice the torta roll in half, lengthwise, so it has a top and bottom to make a sandwich; set aside.

Once the oven is preheated, place the pancetta on the lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the pancetta is the desired crispness. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to remove any excess drippings. 

To assemble the panini:

On the bottom piece of the torta roll, add two slices of the mozzarella, then the tomato slices. Season the tomatoes with a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Add the fresh basil, then the pancetta slices. Finally, add the last two slices of mozzarella and place the top of the torta roll to cover. 

Brush some olive oil on the heated griddle. Place the sandwich on the griddle. Cover and press the sandwich down with a very heavy pan, such as a cast iron skillet or the lid of a Dutch oven. Flatten the sandwich to your liking and grill until nice marks are prevalent and the mozzarella cheese is melted. Flip the sandwich and repeat the process. 

Slice in half and serve with fries. Makes one serving. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Your sandwich looks great! Fresh basil makes me long for summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tracy... I love fresh basil!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy... leave a comment... oh, and thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...