PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pork Tostadas with Spicy Slaw...


 
Cravings... you know what I'm talking about, right?

I will crave the most unusual foods sometimes.

For instance... tostadas.

Yes, I said tostadas. Love the things.

I grew up eating them. A lot.

So, the other week, I was craving something savory and crunchy. Immediately, pork tostadas came to mind.

Then, thinking about the pork, lead me to think of coleslaw. That's a pretty funny thing, because if I have a choice of coleslaw and other sides, I will choose one of the other sides.

This time though, it sounded good to me. Not just any, run of the mill coleslaw, but something spicy.

With my thoughts gathered, I put my recipe plan into action.

Here's what I came up with...

Pork Tostadas with Spicy Slaw

  • 2 lb. Pork Shoulder Butt Roast
  • 1 Packet Taco Seasoning
  • 2 Cups Water
  • Corn Tortillas
  • 1 Cup Vegetable Oil, For Frying
  • Monterey Jack Cheese, Shredded, For Topping Tostadas
  • 8 oz. Pre-Packaged ShreddedVeggies for Coleslaw
  • 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
  • 1 Tablespoon Siracha Sauce, Plus Some for Garnish (Optional)
  • 1 Teaspoon White Vinegar
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Granulated Sugar
  • Pinch, Salt
  • Pinch, Black Pepper
Place the pork, taco seasoning, and water in the crock pot. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours.

In the meantime, in a small bowl, combine the coleslaw veggies, mayonnaise, Siracha, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Mix together and adjust the seasonings if needed. Store in a container and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Once the pork is done, shred with a fork. Let it rest in the crock pot on the warm setting. 

While the pork rests, heat 1 cup of vegetable oil in a small frying pan, until it reaches around 350 degrees. Line a plate with paper towels; set aside.

Once the oil is heated, add the tortillas, one at a time. Using tongs, carefully flip the tortilla back and forth, until crispy and hard on both sides. Place the fried tortillas on the paper towel lined plate to drain off any excess oil.

To build the tostadas, layer some pork, then slaw, and finally cheese onto the fried tortilla. Add some Siracha Sauce, if you want more heat. Makes 8-12 tostadas.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy... leave a comment... oh, and thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...