PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lemon Whoopie Pies with Raspberry Buttercream...



I've been wanting to make whoopie pies for a while now, as evident in one of my Pinterest boards.

I told you this whole Pinterest thing would be a problem. Anyway, I thought..."hmmmm, a cake mix may just work for this recipe!" And guess what?

...... It does!

Although the cake part of the whoopie pie did not come out as poofy as I'd liked, they were still delish. My kids enjoyed them, so they are definitely kiddo approved!




The raspberry buttercream with the lemony cake...... totally go together like peanut butter and jelly. For real.

I have to send some love out to Confessions of a Cookbook Queen. Her method and recipe for whipping up buttercream frosting is to die for!

Seriously.

Head on over there to check-out her wonderfully detailed tutorial!

I used it as a base and added fresh raspberries for this recipe. Also, if my frosting becomes to thick, I thin it out with more whole milk or half & half... depending on what I have on hand.

Now all I have to do is to try not to stuff my face with these babies. So far, I've been good. It is tempting though!

Lemon Whoopie Pies with Raspberry Buttercream

For the Whoopie Pies:

  • 1 Boxed Lemon Cake Mix
  • 1/2 Cup Water
  • 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
  • 3 Whole Eggs 

For the Raspberry Buttercream:

  • 1 Cup Salted Butter ( 2 Sticks), Softened
  • 2 Tablespoons Whole Milk
  • 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 3 OZ. (Weight) Fresh Raspberries, Rinsed And Dried
  • 4 Cups Powdered Sugar (1 Pound), Sifted
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F).

In a large bowl, mix the cake mix, water, oil, and eggs until well combined. Set aside for about 15 minutes to thicken.

On lined cookie sheets, drop or pipe the batter by tablespoonful, about 2 inches apart. The batter will expand while baking. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove and cool a few minutes on the cookie sheets before gently removing with a spatula. Transfer to cooling racks to cool completely. 

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the butter, milk, and vanilla on high until light and fluffy, scrapping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Now add the raspberries and beat until well combined. Add the powdered sugar in batches until mixed in. Again, scrapping the sides of the bowl as needed. 

Place the raspberry buttercream in a piping bag with the desired tip. Flip the cooled whoopie pies so the bottoms are top side up. Pair them as best you can according to shape. Begin piping the buttercream onto one whoopie pie, starting from the edge and swirling inward. Place another whoopie pie right side up to sandwich the filling in between. Store covered in the refrigerator with parchment paper in between each pie, as they may stick. Makes 20-22 whoopie pies.  

Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photo! I'll take 10 of these please!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Emily these look delicious!!!And your photos are goregeous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!! I love the sound of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they look so pretty! I've always loved this combination, it's great

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're so pretty I wouldn't want to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous! Lemon whoopie pies...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've yet to try my hand at making whoopies, but yours are so wonderfully delightful. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous!! Love the flavor combination!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think there is a better food combo than...lemons and raspberries!! WOW. looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so delicious and photographed so beautifully too! I love lemon and raspberry together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look delicious and so very pretty! I love anything lemon-flavoured.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. That whoopie pie is on a whole new level! Lemon + Raspberry = I have to make this soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy... leave a comment... oh, and thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...