PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Vegetable Beef Soup...


 

I love making soup and here's why:

One... It's easy. Hello, I love anything you can put together with little to no effort.
Two... You can throw any ingredient you want into it and make it your own.
Three... It's comfort food... and who doesn't like that!?!

I adapted this soup from a recipe that my mom would make for dinner when I was growing up. I change it up every now and again, depending on how I'm feeling. Sometimes I put cabbage in it or sometimes I add corn. That's the beauty of making soup..... you can do what you want... put your own touch on it.

Here's how I like to eat this particular soup:

One... With saltine crackers crumbled up into the soup.
Two... Lots of shredded cheddar cheese mixed in... lots.
Three... Can't forget the Deviled Ham Spread for the extra saltine crackers I like to eat with it. 

I'll share the Deviled Ham Spread along with this recipe, but I don't have any photos... sorry... we ate it all before I could snap a shot. Seriously... you have got to make it to accompany this soup. You really, really do! Be forewarned: It's not the prettiest spread in the room, but it tastes great.  

Trust me...


Vegetable Beef Soup
  • 3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil, Divided
  • 1 Pound of Ground Beef
  • 2 Teaspoons of Salt, Divided
  • 1 Teaspoon of Pepper, Divided
  • 1 Teaspoon of Season Salt
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • 1 Cup of Carrots, Peeled and Diced
  • 1 Cup of Celery, Diced
  • 2 Cups of New or White Potatoes, Diced
  • 2 Quarts of Water
  • 6 Beef Bullion Cubes
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium/high heat in Dutch oven or large soup pot. Add the ground beef, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, season salt, and garlic powder. Brown the ground beef, drain and remove from the pot; set aside. Add another 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil to your now empty pot. Cook the carrots, celery, potatoes, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper until the vegetables are softened; about 8 minutes. Return the ground beef to the pot. Add the water and beef bullion. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with saltine crackers, Deviled Ham Spread, and shredded cheddar cheese. Makes 12 servings.


Deviled Ham Spread
  • 8 Hard Boiled Eggs, Cooled and Diced
  • 1/4 of a Whole Onion, Diced
  • 4 Cans (4.25 OZ) of Deviled Ham
  • 1/3 - 1/2 Cups of Mayonnaise, Or To Taste
In a medium sized bowl, mix all the ingredients until combined. Transfer to an airtight container and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. Spread on saltine crackers or on bread. Makes 8 cups.

*You can find the Deviled Ham in the same aisle as the tuna at the grocery store.

Enjoy!

Print

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy... leave a comment... oh, and thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...