PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Truffula Tree Push Pop Cakes...

 

Are you celebrating National Read Across America Day on March 2nd... or otherwise known as Dr. Seuss's Birthday?

If you are... I have some fun treats for you!

I know that everyone and their mother is making these Truffula Trees for the upcoming Lorax Movie, but I really wanted to make a Lorax themed treat, so I couldn't pass up making these whimsical trees!

I have to say... it's the first time I've made Push Pop Cakes, and while cute, they were a nightmare......

...... at first.

I made sure to puncture styrofoam with the push pop sticks before hand so I could place them right side up after assembling. Okay... easy.

Next, I decided I would push the base up, place a mini-cupcake on, then pipe the frosting, pull the base down a bit, then repeat the process, and pull the base all the way down. Oh man... this was the worst... my push pop stick would come out and the frosting would smear inside the push pop. Let's just say I had a few choice words for these annoying push pop dispensers!

Anyway, I finely came to the conclusion that I better leave the base all the way down, place a cupcake on the base, frost, then repeat.

EUREKA!!!

Why didn't I do this to begin with!?!

I found the Push Pop dispensers at my local craft store, but you can order them at online shops such as Shop Sweet Lulu.

I also used two different kinds of cotton candy... Fluffy Stuff and Tear Jerkers. I just pulled the different colors apart. The Fluffy Stuff was blue, pink, and yellow... while the Tear Jerkers was purple and green.

Anyway, they turned out cute, so I hope I didn't scare you away from trying them. You can also try making the Dr. Seuss Cupcake Toppers I posted about last year.


Truffula Tree Push Pop Cakes


For the Push Pop Cakes:

  • Mini Cupcakes
  • Colored Frosting (I Used Orange) 
  • Push Pop Dispensers
For the Truffula Trees:

  • Various Colors Of Cotton Candy
  • Pepperidge Farm Pirouette Rolled Wafers French Vanilla

Cut the Pirouette Wafers in half with a paring knife and set aside.

Making sure the base of the push pop dispenser is all the way down, place a mini cupcake on it, then pipe frosting from a piping bag onto the top of the mini cupcake. Repeat this process one more time. Place on a styrofoam board that has been pre-poked with holes from the Push Pop dispenser stick. 

Take a previously cut Pirouette Wafer and attach a pouf of cotton candy onto the top with a small amount of frosting. Gently stick the finished tree into the center of the mini cupcake that is at the top of the Push Pop. Serve immediately, as the cotton candy becomes dry and powdery if it sits too long. 

Enjoy!

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
~ Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

I'm linking this post up to I'm Lovin' It and Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday.

6 comments:

Don't be shy... leave a comment... oh, and thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...